Monday, November 2, 2009

My first week at Instituto Sacatar, Itaparica, Bahia, Brasil

Ola! Como vai?!

Baía de Todos os Santos... or All Saints Bay, where Itaparica is located, is just stunning. Beautiful calm waters surround the island, including a lovely beach right outside Instituto Sacatar. My studio looks out onto the pier above... For a tour around Instituto Sacatar please visit their website! http://www.sacatar.org

For those that don't know... I'm here in Brasil on an UNESCO Aschberg Bursary, to spend time researching Brasilian music and rhythms... and to see how they can inspire my music. There are 4 other artists~ 2 Portuguese, an Iranian and a Romanian~ all visual artists, who create some amazing work respectively. The conversation around the dinner table is as challanged and comical as you can imagine, however an interesting combination of english, portuguese and flamboyant body language saves the day every time!

This first week has been jam packed with amazing experiences and in amongst the sleepless nights getting over my jet lag I've been busy learning Portuguese so I can travel around a little easier!
We've spent some time touring the island in 'kombi' vans and on bicycles, checking out all the places to go in the next couple of months. Above are a few photos of mine so far... stay tuned for many more!

Best keep this one short... I can smell the amazing food coming from next door and must have a swim before I eat! Until next time.... sending some sunshine from South America!

No comments:

Post a Comment